- 3 Doors Down (2008)
- Seventeen Days (2005)
- Away from the Sun (2002)
- The Better Life (2000)
- Let Me Be By Myself (2008)
- Citizen Soldier (2008)
- Let Me Go (2005)
- Loser (2001)
- Kryptonite (2000)
- 3 Doors Down Live: Away from the Sun (2005)
The original members of the musical group 3 Doors Down were raised in the small town of Escatawpa, Mississippi, and first included vocalist/drummer Brad Arnold, guitarist Matt Roberts, and bassist Todd Harrell. They began as a rock trio in 1994, playing at a friend’s backyard party. Their name was chosen after they saw a broken sign in Foley, Alabama, which read “Doors Down.” Since they were a three piece band, they added 3 and became 3 Doors Down.
In the early 2000’s they produced several post-grunge singles that included Kryptonite and the ballad Here Without You. Kryptonite generated considerable excitement at Biloxi’s radio station WCPR and that support helped 3 Doors Down become a regional favorite. The band added guitarist Chris Henderson and used a studio drummer so that Arnold could sing live. They began to draw relatively large crowds at their local live shows and gradually they extended their range beyond the South to famous clubs in New York like CBGB where 3 Doors Down caught the attention of Republic Records, a subsidiary of Universal. Signed by Republic Records, the musicians issued their first major-label debut, The Better Life, in early 2000.
The album The Better Life became one of the biggest-selling of 2000. According to Stacia Proefock in AllMusic.com., the album went platinum four times during its first year of release. In 2002 another album Away from the Sun debuted at number eight on the Billboard Top 200. It also reached multi-platinum status. 3 Doors Down toured throughout 2003 and 2004 in support of Away from the Sun and issued the live EP Another 700 Miles in November 2003. In early 2005, their album Seventeen Days debuted at number one on the Billboard 200 and went platinum in its first week of release. In 2006 3 Doors Down and Friends did a benefit at Mobile Convention Center with proceeds to benefit Hurricane Katrina victims. A self-titled album, 3 Doors Down, followed in May 2008, which also debuted at the top of the Billboard 200.
The current members are Brad Arnold (lead vocals), Matt Roberts (lead guitar/ backing vocals), Chris Henderson (rhythm guitar), Todd Harrell (bass guitar), and Greg Upchurch (drums, percussion, backing vocals).
- 1972 – Todd Harrell born February 13th.
- 1978 – Matt Roberts born July 19th in Portsmouth, Rhode Island.
- —— Brad Arnold born September 27th.
- 1994 – Band forms as a 3 piece in Escatawpa, MS.
- 1996 – Begins touring regionally.
- 1997 – Chris Henderson joins band to make a fuller sound. Begin recording demo at Lincoln Recording Studio in Pascagoula, MS. Kryptonite becomes regional hit which catches Universal’s eye. They sign band to major label contract.
- 2000 – Debut album The Better Life released and eventually certified 6X platinum. Kryptonite charts #3 US Hot Rock and #1 Modern Rock.
- 2001 – Loser released as a single charting #2 in Modern Rock
- 2002 – released 2nd studio album Away from the Sun, which has been certified 4x platinum.
- 2003 – Began hosting the annual 3 Doors Down and Friends benefits through The Better Life Foundation.
- 2005 – released their 3rd album Seventeen Days, which debuted at #1.Let Me Go reaches 14 in the US Hot 100. Tour with Lynyrd Skynyrd. Release live DVD, Away from the Sun: Live from Houston, Texas.
- 2006 – 3 Doors Down and Friends benefit held at Mobile Convention Center with proceeds benefiting Hurricane Katrina victims
- 2008 – Released their self-titled 4th album, which debuted at #1. It featured the singles Let Me Be By Myself (featured in a GEICO commercial) and Citizen Soldier (a tribute to the National Guard which became popular in a commercial regularly screened in movie theaters nationwide).
- 2009 – Released In the Presence of the The Lord along with The Soul Children of Chicago on Oh Happy Day: An All-Star Music Celebration.
- The band’s official web site is found at www.3doorsdown.com.
- Excellent information about 3 Doors Down is found on Wikipedia.
- Link to The Better LIfe Foundation founded by the 3 Doors Down.
- Proefrock, Stacia. “3 Doors Down > Biography”. Allmusic.com http://www.allmusicguide.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:7md0ylk2xpnb~T1.