- He performed on Maxwell St. and in the “No Exit Cafe”
Jim Brewer: A Biography
by Phoenix Doss (SHS)
Blind Jim Brewer was born on October 3, 1920, in Brookhaven, Mississippi. In 1940 he moved to Chicago with his family. He performed regularly on Maxwell Street, singing both blues and religious songs. In the 1960’s he performed at blues and folk festivals. He performed regularly at the “No Exit Cafe” in the early 70’s. In the late 70’s he appeared in the documentary film “Blues Showers of Rain”. He performed until his death on June 03, 1988, in Chicago, Illinois. During his lifetime, he was rarely recorded.
- 1920 -Oct 3, the birth of Jimmy Brewer in Brookhaven, Mississippi
- 1940 – Moved to Chicago with his family
- 1960 – Performed at blues and folk festivals and in the “No Exit Cafe”
- 1970 – Appeared in the documentary movie “Blues Shower of Rain”
- 1988 -Performed until his death.
- “Jimmy Brewer” [online] Available at http://members.aol.com/maxwellstr/Biojimmybrewer.html 4/28/00.