- Everything You Want (1997)
Ray J. is known for his musical performances and his acting roles. Stepping in his sister, Brandy’s shadow, Ray J. has made an effort to pursue his own career. Starting at an early age to sing and act in McComb, Mississippi, he has overcome many obstacles to become a star in his own right.
Ray J. was born in McComb, Mississippi, but moved to California with his family when he was two years old. In a short time this young man put his talents to good use (Music Urban Showcase). “Learned to walk and talk at an amazing early age,” states a heading marking the first year of his birth (Siblings Who Are Also Celebrities). As he auditioned at an early age, he has always had fun.
He finished an R&B album before he could get his driver’s license. Ray J. has been acting since age eight in TV commercials and became a regular on Fox’s “The Sinbad Show” at twelve. He also costarred with Shaquille O’Neal in an action adventure film called Steel (Kindred Spirits).
His performing experience includes touring with Boyz 2 Men and Brandy in 1995, a stint at New York’s famous Apollo Theater, and a month long role in an off Broadway Musical, “Twist”, in Philadelphia. His acting roles include L.J., the son of Sinbad on the 1993 TV sitcom “Sinbad, ” participation in 1995’s BET presentation “When We Were Colored, ” with director Tim Reid and Phylicia Rashad; the 1994 HBO Special ” the Enemy Within, ” with Forrest Whitaker; and many commercials over the years including McDonald’s, Denny’s, Walt Disney and Nintendo. He has recently finished a role in the 1996 movie Mars Attacks and has just completed the upcoming movie “Steel” with Shaquille O’Neal (Music Urban Showcase). Ray J’s debut single, “Let It Go”, first appeared on a movie soundtrack, Set It Off.
Ray J. appeared in the movies, Once Upon A Time……, When We Were Colored, and Mars Attack. Ray J. has also teamed up with his superstar sibling, Brandy, for their first television special together called, “Ray J. and Brandy In Concert.” The Show has been aired on the Disney Channel (The Hottest New Black Singers, 58).
- 1981– Born in McComb, Mississippi
- 1989– First acting job
- 1993– Acting role on “The Sinbad Show”
- 1994– Acting role on “The Enemy”
- 1995– Acting role in Once Upon a Time When We Were Colored
- 1996– Acting role on Mars Attacks and also just completed the movie Steel
- 1999- Joins sister Brandy as a regular on Moesha.
- “Siblings Who Are Also Celebrities”. Jet. Johnson Publishing Company, 1998. 56. [Online] Available http://gw4.epnet.com/
- “Kindred Spirits”. People. 1997. 80.
- “The Hottest New Black Singers”. Jet. Johnson Publishing Company, 1997. 58. [Online] Available http://gw1.epnet.com/ ;Music Urban Showcase-Ray J. [Online] Available http://www.imusic.com/showcase/urban/rayj.html