- Portrait of a Scientific Racist: Alfred Holt Stone of Mississippi (2006)
- The Louisiana Native Guards: The Black Military Experience During the Civil War (1995)
- Pretense of Glory: The Life of General Nathaniel P. Banks (1998)
- An Absolute Massacre: The New Orleans Race Riot of July 30, 1866
- Coming of Age in the Crescent City (to be published)
Dr. James G. Hollandsworth, Jr. was born in Asheville, North Carolina in 1944. He attended Asheville School, Davidson College for his bachelor’s degree. He obtained his master’s and doctoral degrees from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He did post-graduate work at Madeline College, Oxford University in England. He worked as a professor and administrator at the University of Southern Mississippi in Hattiesburg for many years. He died in 2010.