- Growing up in Mississippi (1985) short story
- Lorraine Hansberry — Portrait of an Angry Young Writer (1979) in The Crisis, nonfiction
- U.S.A. and the American Negro Short Stories (1966)
- The Winds of Change (1963) short story
- The Revolt of Brud Bascomb
Loyle Hairston was born in 1926 in Macon, Mississippi. At age fourteen , his family moved to St. Louis, Missouri. He joined the Navy at age sixteen (after graduating from high school), and he served in World War II for two years. After he was discharged from the Navy, he attended New York University. Loyle Hairstone was a founder of the Harlem Writers Guild. He lived for many years in New York City. He died in 2009.
- Lulu.com Author Spotlight
- Mississippi Writers: Reflections of Childhood and Youth, Volume 2. Edited by Dorothy Abbot, Maryemma Graham.